Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Doodle's new activity



Here is Princess #3, well technically she was born 2nd so I guess she is 2. Anyway, she loves her Daddy almost as much as she loves Pizza and playing on the computer. He is her security blanket. I try not to be jealous but sometimes its hard. At least she connects with someone. That is such a blessing when you have a child with classic autism.
There is so much talk these days of autism. I hear people in the grocery store casually throw around, "oh my son has autism" I look at the son and he is smiling and talking to mom or the cashier and maybe he gives a little screech or repeats a phrase he just heard but I am thinking "really?" Umm No your child is "on the spectrum" and that is a whole other ball game. Being on the spectrum is nothing like having full on autism. Its like night and day and I don't understand why they are even considered the same thing. It makes me mad, sorry. But when people say their kid has autism so casually it really makes light of the heavy load the kids who are really afflicted (and their families) carry. If your kid can't tell you they love you, or what they want for dinner, or why they are crying at 3 am or doesn't even look at you when you come into their room at school, then you know what I mean. Otherwise your child is on the spectrum or has PDD-NOS. They do not have Autism per say. Yes I know there are different levels of severity. Something about this just really makes me angry. Sorry. But on a lighter note . . . We have a new equestrian in the family!! Doodle has started horse therapy and she LOVES it!!
See that smile? It lasts the entire 30 minutes she is riding. And she is getting better and
more independent each week.














These are some of the volunteers at the farm she rides at. They are awesome and some of the kindest hearted people I have met in our journey so far.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I love your hubby. And that picture of her smiling on the horse is the best thing I've seen in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved what you said about seeing kids at the store or someplace that are said to be autistic and they are smiling and talking and seeming perfectly "normal", and how it makes it harder for people to understand kids with classic autism. I'm eager to read more of your blog. I have a 5 year old daughter with classic autism. Not as many of us with girls!

    ReplyDelete